Friday, January 22, 2010

Self Reliance

My visiting teachers came to chat with me today. I love when they visit...adult conversation is always welcome! The message that they shared today was music to my ears.

It was entitled Becoming Self Reliant, which is exactly what I'm trying to do.

I think sometimes people view emergency preparedness/food storage as hoarding food or preaching doom and gloom, but it isn't that at all. It is simply being self reliant.

" 'Self-reliance means using all of our blessings from Heavenly Father to care for ourselves and our families and to find solutions for our own problems.' Each of us has a responsibility to try to avoid problems before they happen and to learn to overcome challenges when they occur. . . .

"How do we become self-reliant? We become self-reliant through obtaining sufficient knowledge, education, and literacy; by managing money and resources wisely, being spiritually strong, preparing for emergencies and eventualities; and by having physical health and social and emotional well-being."

I want to be prepared so that I have the means to take care of myself and my family come what may. I don't want to have to rely on the government, the church, or my family (or anyone for that matter) to get me through. I want to prepare now to avoid disaster later.

"Our ultimate goal is to become like the Savior, and that goal is enhanced by our unselfish service to others. Our ability to serve is increased or diminished by the level of our self-reliance."

I want to be able to help and bless the lives of others and I can be more prepared to do that by being self reliant.

When I was asked to take dinner to another family last week, it wasn't a burden or stress. I didn't have to make a quick trip to the grocery store (which is never quick with four boys in tow) or worry about it being a financial burden (which it could have been if I didn't have food on hand that I'd gotten on sale). Being able to happily serve is an unexpected blessings I've received in working to become more self reliant.

This article has helped to strengthen my desire to become more self reliant. I have a LONG way to go but I'm going.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

It was fun to chat today! You're a great example to me with being prepared and you have inspired me to get going with food storage. Thanks for sharing your ideas and knowledge and coupon organizing tips!