Sunday, November 15, 2009

Food Storage Plan...Where to start?

It is comical that I have a blog about food storage. Why? Because I am not prepared with my food storage.

Even though I can come up with a page (or more) of excuses (money, time, energy...) as to why my food storage is not in place, here's the bottom line - I'm going to do it.

I am going to start at the beginning and go step by baby step. The best part is - You're more than welcome to join me in my food storage journey.

Whenever I get thinking about food storage I get overwhelmed. Where do I start? What do I do? How do I do it? And then I do nothing because it's too much and life goes on. I'm stopping that vicious cycle.

This pamphlet outlines the basic idea of family home storage and is a good starting point. My goals are to (1) start with a three-month supply of my family's needs, (2) continue building a financial reserve, and (3) finally have a year's supply by this time next year. Yes, by the end of 2010.

Where to start? HERE with a talk that was given before I was even born. I had to chuckle at the "wheat for Christmas" line. (Thanks, Mom and Dad, even though I think Willie was wishing for a TV...)

1. The first thing for me to do is take inventory. I'm not even exactly sure what I have so that's a logical starting place. I think I'll just count it all and put it on a spreadsheet. Is there a better way?

2. The second thing I'll do is figure out what I still need. This will be easier to do once I know what I have.

3. The third thing I'll do is prepare a timeline. I've already set the goal of one year to a year's supply but I'd like to lay out a month-by-month plan of attack.

Additional thoughts: I'm going to step up my gardening efforts this year. I'm going to continue couponing to get items at a great price to store away. I'm going to sell my husband's truck set up and stick to a budget.

Whew! I am not going to get hung up on wanting it all now. Line upon line here. I'm focusing on step one. Once I've got my inventory, I'll return and report. Feel free to join in the fun!

5 comments:

Steph said...

hey Natalie - I just came across this blog - great ideas!! If you don't mind, I'm going to pass them onto a friend who is doing a calling similar to yours and I'm going to bookmark it for myself.

Here's a site that I like - it has some good ideas. www.simplyprepared.com

By the way, your family is beautiful, or should I say "handsome" - all those boys are the cutest :)

take care
Stephanie Lathrop

Kathryn said...

Hey Natalie, I really like this new blog! I just wanted to let you know about one of my favorite food storage sites. It's www.trackmyfoodstorage.com. It's a free site but there are some things that are only available with a $15/yr subscription. I just have the free version and it's great for keeping track of inventory and showing what you need etc.

Natalie said...

Stephanie- Thanks for your kind words and support! Feel free to pass this on to whomever you like. I'm adding the site you recommended to the sidebar. THANKS!

Natalie said...

Kathryn- I'll have to check out that site when I have a minute to look through it. It sounds great! Thanks for sharing!!

Grandma Nelson said...

Too bad Willie's mother-in-law isn't as generous as your father's! We received a tv from Grandma Truman the first Christmas we were married. Only Grandma Truman! Your parents literally send wheat. Sorry Will!