Sunday, November 8, 2009

Cooking with MEAT

I used to cringe at the thought of cooking with meat! Boneless, skinless chicken breasts were my style and even then I'd be queasy.

I recently found a post on using inexpensive cuts of meat and now I'm a changed girl. Not only does it save a lot of money but it's not too hard either! I've even come up with a solution for my uneasiness towards meat.Just kidding...kind of. I seriously do wear the gloves. Go ahead, laugh if you must-I'm used to it; my husband laughs at me every time.I bought this pork shoulder for $0.99/pound last week at Safeway and it is yummy and easy to cook when used in this recipe, complete with a how-to demo, found HERE.

I bought 15 pounds and had two crock pots going in about 30 minutes. They cooked all day long while I sat around and twiddled my thumbs. I ended up with dinner for that night, a small roast (I had to cut some off to get it in the crock pot) and nine bags of shredded pork (four seasoned and five plain).
This week (11/11-11/17) the pork butt is $0.97/pound at Save Mart. I wasn't sure if this was a similar cut to pork shoulder, but luckily I know how to Google and I read HERE that pork shoulder is indeed the same thing. Try it for yourselves!

Are you brave when it comes to meat? Do you have any tips or recipes to share? Do tell!

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

I ALWAYS wear gloves when I handle meat! LOL!
The only exception to that is fish.

(I went fishing with my Grandpa when I was little and caught several salmon. He then informed me that I have to clean what I catch. I was forced to get over it.)

It's funny that Willie laughs at you. Duke used to laugh at me too. But Duke's such a germ freak that it wasn't hard to convince him that we needed boxes of rubber gloves around.

We usually go for the inexpensive cuts of meat unless it's a special occasion. Most of the time I cook with meat it's either a crock-pot dish, roast or stew, so it doesn't matter that the meat is lean.