Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!

Remember the whole reason I started this blog about a year ago? I had three goals to complete by the end of 2010 (and to do so couponing).

Yesterday was the last day of 2010. I put the flour my mom had brought me (from a sale in Vegas) into buckets. It had been sitting in the garage for too long.(Notice my buddy heater keeping me warm while I work? I'm such a wimp when it comes to cold.)

I took a quick inventory of what we had. (The inventory/food storage calculator that I use can be found on the right-hand side bar.)

In reviewing my goals:

1. I was pleased to see I had met my goal of a three month supply (although I've found storing meat to be trying).

2. I was happy to know that even though we aren't swimming in money, we have been setting a little aside each month as a financial reserve. I have an AMAZING story to share with you about an experience we had with money savings a few months back. Another post, another time.

3. I was downright giddy to see that in addition to our 3-month supply, I had been able to continue building past that and was near a year supply of provisions for my family.

Almost everything I needed for my year supply I was able to get on sale and with coupons far below the retail price. BUT there were some things I wasn't able to. I headed to Costco to tie up some loose ends...and yes, I paid full price.
I spent $150.00 (thank you Christmas bonus from my transcription job!) and got a cart full of rather random items to top off the rest of my supply. These are the things I've found harder to get (in bulk) with coupons:

Large garbage bags
Paper plates
Napkins
Bottled water
Pickles
Canned chicken
Salt
Vanilla
Milk
Butter
Parmesan cheese
Apple Sauce
Popcorn
Tortillas
Hamburger buns
and the orange chicken was for our family New Year's Eve partay!
I have also been buying rice, pretzels, and tortilla chips every once in awhile at Costco.

Other than that I have been able to get everything else my family uses by coupon shopping at grocery stores and drugstores. It has taken me an entire year to build up a good stockpile but now I feel like I just have to maintain it.

I have learned a lot through this process. I promise to share in future posts.

Happy New Year!

6 comments:

jjjensenfamily said...

I hope that you cut off all of the Box Tops on those bags of flour!!
Congratulations on your year of success.

Brandi D said...

Congrats! I just found your blog and I'm so excited to follow it as a new couponer! We moved here at the end of May from Southern California and I'm pretty much coupon clueless! Love your posts though and can't wait for you to post the new deals because I just clipped my first coupons from the Sunday paper yesterday! :) Thanks!

Brandi D said...

Are you going to be doing your blog with all the sales and coupons still or was it just for 2010? Thanks!

Natalie said...

Brandi,
I still plan on posting but I strongly suggest checking out the links to "my favorite saving sites" on the right-hand side of my blog.

These other blogs rock and I usually don't post the deals found there...because it's already posted there.

I do try to keep up with Scolari's deals because there is not another blog that does matchups for that.

Some great deals this week include fruit snacks and granola bars at Safeway, Covergirl makeup at Smith's, and Finish dishwashing detergent at Walgreens.

Welcome!
Natalie

Anonymous said...

Congrats Natalie! You inspire me! I just logged on to input my "food storage" and loved to see your success. Good JOB!

Brandi D said...

Awesome! Thanks so much!