Friday, June 4, 2010

Couponing 101


I was able to participate in a couponing class last night and it was so fun! For any of you new to couponing or looking for a place to start, Money Saving Mom is doing a series entitled "31 Days to a Better Grocery Budget." It is FABULOUS and full of great tips.

My top three tips for just starting out would be:

1. Set up a coupon email address. For example, mine is nat.save@hotmail.com. I use this email address when a website asks for my information before I print a coupon or when requesting free samples . This helps me avoid having my personal email inbox full of coupon-related information.

2. Start SLOWLY. Trying to get every deal at every store is exhausting and you will get burnt out. Be selective in the deals you decide to go after. Make sure it is something you can use or donate. Remember, deals always roll around again. Prayerfully evaluate your family's situation and decide what you (and your family) can handle.

When I first started couponing, I started with the drugstores and I only did one store. Once I got my feet wet and felt a little more confident, I started learning the ropes at the second drugstore. After about a year I had an ample supply of free toiletries and nonfood items and branched out to grocery stores. I did not start couponing the way I do now from the very beginning. I eased into it and every once in awhile I ease up a bit and take little breaks.

3. Use a feed reader to see many blogs/websites at a time. This will limit the amount of time you have to spend on the computer. You will not have to check multiple blogs multiple times a day to see if there are new posts! Select a handful of money-saving blogs (see my favorites on the sidebar) and add them to your google reader (or other feed reader). Don’t have a google reader account?
· Go to www.google.com/reader.
· Click on “Create an Account.” You will need an email address (see above!) and then create a password. Finish filling out the short form and accept the terms.
· Once your account is created, you can add a subscription by clicking on the “Add a Subscription” button at the top left. Copy and paste in the address of the website you would like to add to your Google Reader. You will be able to see all of these sites now at one location.
· Instead of scrolling through each post there are “next” and “previous” buttons to quickly scan any new posts. If you see a post you are interested in (and want to read it later) you can click “add star” and it will be waiting for you when you click “starred items.” You can even “search” your google reader by typing in key words in the search box at the top.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Great tip on the Google reader, I didn't know about that!