Tuesday, February 2, 2010

January Report

Well, I've been working on my food storage goals for one month now. It's time to report on my progress.

I have 3 goals in my food storage plan:

1: Build a 3-month supply.
2: Build a financial reserve.
3: Build a 12-month supply.

In my budget (I use the term budget VERY loosely) all household items are grouped together into the grocery budget. This includes food, diapers and wipes (I have 2 in this category), paper products, cleaning products, bathroom toiletries, medications...basically all of the things I have to buy at the grocery store to keep the household running.

Also included in my grocery budget are my food storage purchases. This month I've been able to stock up on things like cereal, toilet paper, laundry detergent, bar soap, and a few other things through the deals I've found couponing. I also went to the cannery before the prices went up.

Okay, here it goes. My January report:

  • I spent $562.69 on groceries (Ouch! That seems like a lot.)

  • I increased my 3-month supply by roughly 25%. (Good.)

  • I increased my savings for a financial reserve by 33.25%. (Not much to start with...)

  • I am 76.5% of the way to my 3-month supply goal. (Getting closer...)

  • I am 25.4% of the way to my financial reserve goal. (Yikes!)

  • I am 50.9% of the way to my 12-month supply goal. (Even though I don't have a complete 3-month supply, there are some things I have a year supply of...like soap.)

So, I may have jumped out of the gates a little fast. I spent a lot this month but I don't think this will be typical. There were some good sales and the whole idea is to buy it when it's low. (I can't imagine what I would have spent if I had paid full price!) It will be interesting to see how this compares to the months to come.

I think the thing I am most excited about after working out all the numbers for January is that this is doable. Sure, I've become the meanie rationing mommy, but it's nice to see my goals slowly coming together.

No comments: