Thursday, February 11, 2010

Wal-Mart Deals

I received an email from Mitzi with a very valid question.

"At this point in my life I'm not willing to go to more than my usual stores :) I go to Walmart and Costco the most and sometimes Winco. Do you have any advice for me to help me save by just going to those places?"

We are all in different seasons and different circumstances in life. There have been times that I've had to call off couponing for a bit due to what's going on in life. When I'm not couponing, I usually shop at Costco and Wal-Mart. It's what is closest and they seem to generally have lower prices.

WINCO:

I'm planning on checking out Winco in the near future but since I've never really shopped there, I'm not much help with that one...yet. I am curious to investigate what it's all about, especially after reading this review by Utah Deal Diva. Do any of you shop at Winco? What has your experience been?

WAL-MART:

At Wal-Mart I like to price match. I take in the ad (although I've heard the ad is not required) of the exact same sale item and the cashier at the register will adjust the price (and you can use coupons on top of that). Price matching can save you from running to three different stores, but beware, price matching does not always go smoothly. I keep a copy of the WM price match policy with me so when a cashier starts making up their own rules I can whip it out.

The thing that is hard about WM is that their prices vary from store to store and change all the time. I do not typically post the coupon match-ups at Wal-Mart because they are covered on other blogs. (See sidebar...) HERE is a list of current deals. I have not checked this list at our store to see how it compares. (Thanks, Passion for Savings!)

I also like when I see the clearance bread rack over by the dairy items. I scored a bag of hoagie rolls for $1.00 the other day. YUM!

COSTCO:

Confession, I haven't renewed my membership. There really isn't anything there that I can't get for the same price or cheaper by shopping the sales and couponing. I will admit the buying in bulk is very convenient though.

Some things I like to buy at Costco are milk, bread, pretzels, tortillas, tortilla chips, salt, rice, pickles, taco seasoning, and I really like the tri-tip and orange chicken they sell (because it tastes good; it's not a good price).

I wish they accepted manufacturer's coupons, but there are still some good deals with their coupons they send out. Occasionally I find things on clearance at Costco but that seems to be rare. What do you typically buy at Costco? Any good finds I'm missing out on?

Any other advice for Mitzi (and me)? I think the important thing to remember is there are ways to save money no matter which stores we shop at.

2 comments:

jjjensenfamily said...

I really like the bulk foods section, especially the items on top that can't be picked through by little kids. I buy spices there, like cinnamon, nutmeg, cumin, even taco seasoning and we can get things for a fraction of what they cost to buy by the bottle.
And now that Costco has gone back to the old milk cartons (yeah) and sells 1%, that ends up being just as cheap as other stores sale prices.

ShirleyR said...

I love Winco. The prices on the stuff I buy regularly beats WalMart. And, Winco has a bigger selection - I sometimes find choices at Walmart a little sparse!