Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Garden Time

Typically I wait until Memorial Day weekend to plant my garden. This year I’ve been a bit antsy. The weather has been nice and I jumped the gun and planted my tomato plants.

Was I worried when we woke up to a dusting of snow this morning? Did I fear I’d find shriveled-up, completely-dead plants? Nope! Since I planted early, I used walls 'o water to protect my little babies. The plastic circles are placed around the plants and then filled with water. The water insulates the plant inside and keeps it cozy and warm. Hooray! The frost didn’t kill my future salsa! A man I talked to at Home Depot told me he uses old plant containers to surround his plants and puts plastic over them at night. I've also heard of using old soda bottles.This year I’m trying something else new in my garden. I’m trying the square foot garden method. The two years before that I’ve grown a garden I’ve followed the directions on the seed packets and just planted in rows. It’s worked fine but I don’t have a ton of gardening space and I think I’ll be able to grow a lot more produce this way. The basic idea is to plant in square feet instead of rows. Last year I was able to plant four to five rows in each planter. In just this one planter I have 20 squares! Each square can handle a certain number of seeds depending on the type/size of plant. For example, 16 carrots can be planted in one square. This is the chart from My Square Foot Garden that I’m using to determine my spacing. There are lots of methods and ways to garden and LOTS of resources available at the library as well as online. I love the gardening information found on the Provident Living website. Here we can learn about:
Let's get gardening!

No comments: