Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Scolari's Coupon Policy


I've received several emails about the coupon doubling at Scolari's. Here is the policy from their website.

"Scolari's encourages customers to bring in manufacturer coupons. Scolari's will double manufacturer coupons up to and including $1.00. Offer excludes all liquor, tobacco, dairy regulated items, store coupons and coupons that exceed the value of the item. If the double portion of the coupon exceeds the value of the item the coupon will be taken at face value. If the coupon states "DO NOT DOUBLE" the coupon will be taken at face value. If a coupon exceeds $1.00 the coupon cannot be doubled and will be taken at face value. A maximum of three coupons for each coupon offering will be doubled per customer. All other coupons for that offering will be taken at face value."

In the past Scolari's was not strict in enforcing the "three of the same coupon" limit. However, it is clearly stated in their policy and the cashiers have tightened up on this rule, so I always buy only three at a time.

Lots of us are having a hard time with cashiers refusing to double a coupon because it will be one cent over the price of the item. (For example, an item costs $1.99 and a $1.00 coupon doubled would take off $2.00...which exceeds the value of the item.) Some cashiers don't mind/care/notice and some cashiers refuse to double coupons going even a cent over.

I can't imagine that one cent would truly make a difference. I've even offered to pay back a penny! I don't know what the store's opinion is on this since sometimes I can do it and sometimes I can't. You would think the system at the register would block it if it wasn't supposed to go a cent over, like take off the first $1.00 and when the coupon is doubled only take off 99 cents.

It would be nice to know what is and isn't allowed and for it to be consistent. For now, the issue of getting free items falls into the hands of your cashier.

My advice, choose your cashiers wisely. Try to fly under the radar. If you are only buying free things, the red flags will be waving. If you work your deals into other items, it's not so obvious. I guess we'll all just need to gear up to say, "OK, I just won't get those then," when a coupon won't be doubled.

I would love to hear your experiences with this!

1 comment:

ECR said...

Natalie,
I ran into something similar last month (my $1 coupon wouldn't double because the item was $1.79). I talked to a manager later, and he advised me there has been a recent re-training of coupon policies they've had for awhile, and this is one of their policies.
If you have interest in sharing your experiences and knowledge with others on Facebook, please join us at Extreme Coupons Reno.
Cheers!