Thursday, September 1, 2011

August Savings

Well, I completed my challenge for the month of August.  I tracked how much I spent and saved on household items for the entire month.  It was actually kind of fun and I realized just exactly how much I truly do save by using coupons and shopping the sales.

Total spent in August:  $229.38
Retail Value:  $668.15
Total saved in August:  $438.77, or 76% saved

These numbers seem right to me.  Before I was couponing, I spent between $100.00 - $200.00 a week on household items (food, toiletries, diapers, cleaning supplies, etc.)  Since couponing, I figured I spent about $75.00 a week on household items, but I wasn't completely sure because I never really kept track.  Now I know and I am excited that I did so well this past month!

I learned a lot by doing this.  Keeping track of my spending and savings made me very aware of how much I was spending and in turn I wanted to spend as little as possible.  It really made me think before I purchased something.

I am going to continue keeping track of my spending/savings because I think my spending will vary from month to month, depending on what I am stocking up on and what I already have stockpiled.  For example, I didn't buy diapers at all this month because I had already stocked up months ago.  This month I stocked up on wipes so that won't be an expense in months to come.  I'm curious to see how it fluctuates.

My mom emailed me her tracking spreadsheet for the month and she saved about 50%  even after including a meal for 50 at a family reunion!  Want to join the challenge and keep track of how much you save?  Feel free to download the spreadsheet I am using HERE(The formula is set up so you just have to enter how much you spent and how much you saved and it will calculate the retail amount automatically.)

No comments: